/* --------- Guestbook ------------*/

The Muse

July 25, 2006

Just browsing...

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm in California for the summer under the guise of doing some work. In reality, its more of a forced, high paid break as I'm just chilling out. I was out to this great place called Fashion Valley with my friends here, over the weekend, and while roaming the shops I realized something profound - I love shopping! There, I said it...I know it sounds very un-macho [what is being macho anyway?!], but I really do.

I like getting good clothes, I really like visiting bookstores and coffee shops, and if a shop sells books and has a cafeteria, well, bye bye then. I could spend hours inside a Borders or a Barnes & Noble. Something about coffee and books...works all the time.

I also enjoy tracking the high end stuff. I'm still not personally comfortable buying stuff for myself at the real high end places, but I do enjoy visiting them. I browsed a lot of great stores and looked at some really cool stuff - Coach briefcases [damn], Mont Blanc pens, apparel at Armani stores, suits at Brooks Brothers, went in to a Godiva showroom too! Ah, the good stuff...of course, there were the smaller, lesser known, but more exclusive boutiques. Surprisingly enough, I've found that I am not really that big on cars or on electronics. I could care less about engines and horsepower and all that, and I care even less about GB, GHz and other configurations.

Whenever I go to such places, I used to be overwhelmed at the prices, and my mind would be contemplating the irony of it all. This much money on shoes, when people don't have anything to eat? What is wrong with this world? But with age has come the maturity to deal with it. And there is no logic in such thoughts is there? If I wear $20 shirts instead of $50, what am I achieving? I would rather spend the $50, and spend another $50 helping others too. One does not have to be mutually exclusive of the other. That's what most people don't do. We hesitate to spend a lot on us, thinking of others. We spend less on us, end up spending nothing on others. Everyone loses huh? Besides, there is a line when one transitions from being a good spender to a snotty jackass. As long as we keep track of where we are, its all good.

Its not about buying stuff, its more about just checking out the shops, the ambiance - I'm sure you girls know what that's all about. And of course, the food. My friends were amazed at my tendency to unerringly go from one food court to another, and put away substantial amounts of food. Even though my stomach is not in the shape of its life [I am recovering from a bout of food poisoning, so I'm very sensitive to undercooked stuff], my genes enable me to eat without putting on anything appreciable [so far]...who wants to be Superman...I'm all about being Jughead.

The sad thing is that I know jack about shopping for or with girls. I would be totally lost at stores that sell shoes or candles. But I'm always willing to learn...any takers? :)

7 Comments:

  • Hey Ram! Remember the time we shopped together at Arizona Mills? You know I love to shop! :) I've actually been to that mall in San Diego! I might be going to Disneyland this weekend...(Christy)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:10 AM  

  • Hey Ram...I love to see this new avatar in men...ANother friend just had a post on how much he blew on shopping and also feeling like "I shopped like a gal"....

    Wosh...I love shopping...Aparts from the physical appeal, it has a stronger emotional gratification and without our knowledge we get addicted to shops and just even checking out the big ones. We will always say- No its nothing about emotional gratification but who cares. I dont....

    I am a little girl looking for someone to take me shopping...:) :)

    Eating Indian stuff has always been fun to me but here I am not too much into nonindian stuff or pan indian stuff so I am not very happy with the eating part!

    By Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP, at 2:12 PM  

  • Sure I do Christy...good to see you here.

    Hey Scribblez, be that little girl. Nothing wrong with that :).

    Actually I don't eat Indian stuff outside often, I prefer Italian or Thai...but I am always ready to try stuff out. Obviously my options are somewhat limited being a vegetarian and all...

    By Blogger Ram, at 4:02 PM  

  • Hi da...

    Good you to like Thai... Great !

    - kola

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:28 AM  

  • Good 2 c ya back in action. Wow nice to note that u like shopping. Im a big shopping buff & I dotake time to shop stuff fr myself & sp gifts as well! OFourse Im quite impulsive as well depending on the appeal of the item. anycase, welcome back :)

    By Blogger Has to be me, at 8:15 AM  

  • I keep diggin Thai as a part of our weekend eat outs....I love all their curries, the Red curry esp and the coconut soup with tofu n all....I guess the second thing I like is Italian too but Indian food is so very rare n good here tht I really have a craving for it, maybe just even chat's u know.

    By Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP, at 1:14 PM  

  • Kola..dai naaye, you come to my blog and of all things comment on Thai food? You da man!

    Hey hastobeme, thank you. I like buying stuff for others too...although I'm always a tad nervous about whether they will like it etc...but get your point. Its fun to just go out and get something without thinking about it.

    Hey Scrriblez...oh Red curry is da bomb..I love it. I found a rice noodles/eggplant dish at a Thai place here, its awesome. Somehow I'm not excited about Indian food...it tastes a little weird...maybe because the places I have gone to have mostly tried to "Amercianize" the food. But I've enjoyed it in some places...

    Good to see you here Raaz...yeah I like shopping. I hope that this does not come to bite me in the ass sometime in the future...:)

    Ram

    By Blogger Ram, at 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home