/* --------- Guestbook ------------*/

The Muse

July 11, 2006

Mumbai 07/11

I don't even know what I am writing...I woke up early today, as I had a busy day at work. Early appointments and some work to take care of before going for a five hour dry run of a new process we are implementing. I was brushing my teeth when I got a SMS from my friend at NDTV in Delhi, something about serial blasts in Mumbai. I switched on to see Rajdeep Sardesai on CNN World and was horrified to see the images that I am sure you have all seen with agony by now...

My mom was out of town, but my Dad was there and so were my uncle and aunt. Thankfully, everyone is safe, but I was horrified to hear that my uncle was in the 5:30 train, while the explosions started at around 5:45...Seems there are still some neighbors and friends unaccounted for. God willing...

At work it was all India this and India that, we received an email that accounted for all of our employees there and it was kind of gratifying to receive emails from people higher up, asking me and people like me who have a base in Mumbai, if they could do anything to help.

All day I'm sure many of you have the same feelings I have had. Anger, a feeling of being insignificant, a constant musing of what the hell am I doing here? Above all its pure anger for me. Say what you will, but I will never understand how anyone can justify or even try to justify deliberate harm to innocent commuters who are just trying to get home after a hard day's work. I mean the blasts were in the peak of the rush hour for crying out aloud! I guess its times like these where we need to keep focused and calm, but it will be hard if people start hearing about how Lashkar-e-Taiba [they have denied it according to the Hindu] or some other group of jackasses is claiming responsibility...

With all the attention India has been getting, I'm sure the next few weeks will be filled with cross comparisons to Madrid, London and the inevitable Hindu-Muslim tensions. I can already start to hear the terrorism experts start giving their opinions on how terrorism has roots in the subcontinent and all that yada yada yada...CNN/IBN was almost tooting the fact that their images were being spread all over the world live.

I have seen India's growth into a rising star, I have watched feel good videos about India's rising, I have choked up at hearing Lata Mangeshkar sing Vande Mataram, I have celebrated countless Indian cricket victories, I have laughed at our politicians various antics, when living there I have complained long and hard about everything from the traffic to the water to the weather...but I have never felt more Indian than I do today...and that I guess is no accident...

5 Comments:

  • Ram,

    It is a very saddening experience and it is during such times of struggle that we need to stand more united. So it`s really great if you are feeling more indian now, in times of such sorrow, your heart burning for their suffering.

    Nice to see you posting after so long. I guess you are working extra hard..!

    I join you in your prayers for the innocent commuters of Mumbai.

    By Blogger srijithunni, at 11:00 PM  

  • Incidents like these really make us look at our own selves carefully!
    But the way Mumbai unites at such times is what touches me!

    Good to see you back!

    Rashmi.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:12 AM  

  • Just taking a break Sri, I've been lazing around a bit..

    Terrible events happening...hope things settle down in Lebanon.

    Thanks Rashmi...

    By Blogger Ram, at 4:34 PM  

  • Hey...I used to check your blog regulary for a long time. Then thought u just stopped blogging. SO you leaving a comment at my place was a surprise for me...Where did u go? Which jungle and all...SOunds very exciting! SOme Vanvas?? ;) :)

    Regards, much has been told and I dont think I should speak more about it. As I mentioned in my post, I was initially saddened then within mionutes the saddened feeling was replaced with anger, sorry my hands were pointing towards the Gvmt who is unable to maintain security in any manner....Much has changed... The war between Isreal n lebanon has taken the attention and can we stand to justify in that ground...

    Like how Isreal attacked Lebanon, can we attack Pak? It will serve the purpose, no...They wil get back n both of us nuclear powers...Moreover we dont have proof, the thing tht is always asked for by US and even if some prrof is given, it is dismissed!

    We r in a mess but if security is not beefed up we have more to pay!

    By Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP, at 6:13 AM  

  • Naah, I won't stop blogging without telling my blogbuddies will I? Just got lazy and stuff was happening so it was easy to not write anything...but I have been reading my regular list.

    I want to write something about the parallels between what's happening in Israel and India...so hopefully we can talk on that in more detail. But you're right, we need intelligence and we need to ramp up on security. We also need to convey the message that we can only bear so much, if coordinated synchronized bombing of civilians return from work in the country's financial capital is not an act of war, what is?

    By Blogger Ram, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home