/* --------- Guestbook ------------*/

The Muse

June 27, 2004

What's up with Autograph?

This Tamil movie has been the craze you know, I can't remember when the last time a movie was discussed like this by us...I guess the film scores on its acceptance that the only important thing that you should remember from school, college etc is your girlfriend!! No really, the film does have some memories about teachers and places but when you actually distill the story, its about the three women in his life and his commitment to the fourth.

Cheran's cleverness is not in the screenplay, acting or the casting - its in the story. Everyone of us [almost] will relate to atleast one of the girls. If we take the first, all of us have had some sort of crush on the school figure...so you tend to identify with the awkwardness and shyness...all the innocence and naive thoughts. And then there is the college girl - where boys become men, or atleast think they have. Fight for a girl, get thrashed, lose her - whatever. The third girl represents today's trend - all this funda of friendship and platonic relationships.Its an unfortunate being [or is he fortunate?] who has not faced atleast one of these in his life.

This leads me to one of my strong beliefs about the success of a movie.Its a sure thing if you can somehow relate to it. I don't mean to say that it should just be about girls or about superheroes or events exactly mirroring your life or things like that. My point is that if you can see yourself behaving in the way the events unfold onscreen ,then the movie is a good one. Try this, it will work.

Of course, it helps if you have crap like Boys hit the theatres before your movie releases. Anything is better than that kind of nonsense. My current favorite is Gilli, and if you apply my test, I like the movie because in college one of my names was Delli [a subtle reference from my friends to the fact that I did my schooling in Delhi]. So whenever I hear Gilli, Gilli.... I think "Delli, Delli" Yeah!

2 Comments:

  • Funny!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

  • I can see another story-teller in You. :)

    The success of any story-teller is to be deceptive and make the viewer believe what they are trying to say..most of the times the fundamental assumption they make might be flawed..but it is the science of story telling that keeps you totally diverted from the very basic assumption..although there is no fundamental flaw that i can notice off (immediately) from Autograph..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home